Sausage Stuffed Peppers RecipeOctober 12, 2016
Baked Apples With Barley-Sausage Pilaf RecipeOctober 12, 2016
- 2 or so pounds biala kielbasa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat (I like a combination of unsalted butter and grapeseed oil)
- 3/4 cup water, wine, or beer (I used Żywiec Porter)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat
- 1 pound fresh pierogi, about 12
- 1 cup sauteed onions, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons ketchup*
- 1/2 cup water or low-salt chicken stock
- 5 juniper berries
- Prick sausage all over with a fork.
- Heat fat over medium heat; add sausage.
- Brown on both sides, about four minutes per side.
- Add liquid and cover. Cook until interior temperature reaches 160°F, 20 minutes or so.
- Remove lid and cook down remaininng liquid until sausage is lightly glazed, about 5 minutes. (Skip this step if using water.)
- Serve with pierogi and sauerkraut.
- Heat fat in saute pan over medium heat.
- Add pierogi, and cook until crisp and slightly blistered in appearance, about 4 minutes.
- Turn pierogi, add 1/2 cup water.
- Cook at a simmer until water is cooked off and pierogi crisps in remaining fat, 6 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully during the final few minutes!
- Serve with sauteed onions and sour cream, if desired.
- Combine all and cook over medium heat, until water is absorbed and sauerkraut is tender. Serve.
- *Inauthentic but good!