Biala Kielbasa with Pierogi and Sauerkraut RecipeOctober 12, 2016
Christmas Breakfast Sausage CasseroleDecember 2, 2016
- 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- 10 ounces sweet turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 2/3 cups chicken broth, more as needed
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/3 cup shelled, chopped and toasted nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tart, crisp apples, such as Granny Smiths
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Add barley and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring, until barley smells nutty, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until barley is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 40 to 50 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prick apples with fork in several places (this will prevent them from bursting while baking). Halve apples lengthwise and cut out core with a paring knife or grapefruit spoon.
- Place apples, cut side up, in an 11-by 7-inch baking dish. Pour 1/4 inch water in bottom of pan. Mound barley mixture on apples. Cover with foil and transfer to oven to bake until apples are fork tender, 30 to 45 minutes.